SKIP AHEAD TO:
Application Overview Diagram
Designate the “Owner” of your Spekit account
The Spekit Owner is the permanent primary User associated with your Spekit account. This is the User that initially signs up for a Spekit account.
Before signing up for your Spekit account, you must decide who will be designated as the owner. That person must be present on the call with your CSA when your Spekit account is established. Please refer to the Best Practices below for Spekit's recommendation.
- Can the owner be changed?
- No, this User cannot be changed.
- Can I deactivate the User?
- No, this User cannot be deleted.
- Will the owner User be counted against my license count?
- No, this is a system User and does not count against your licenses.
- Create an email distribution group with an email of email@example.com.
- Add Spekit Admins to this group.
- Sign up for a Spekit account and use the spekit-owner email address. Example:
Determine Spekit environments
If your internal processes require staging or testing content in a UAT environment before deploying it to a production environment, Spekit can accommodate your workflow. Before signing up for your first Spekit account, you must decide the workflow you will be used to create and deploy content within Spekit. Your CSA will work with you on the Content Strategy, which may include discussions around a UAT and Production environment.
Requirements & Considerations:
- Spekit requires a 1-to-1 connection with Spekit and Salesforce.
- You must connect your Spekit UAT environment to a non-production Salesforce environment, such as a full or partial Sandbox.
- Flows cannot be migrated from Spekit UAT to Production.
- The Target URL of Spotlights and Flows must be updated per Spotlight and Flow.
- Can I migrate Speks from UAT to Production?
- Yes, you can perform an export to CSV from UAT and import that same CSV into production.
- Can I migrate Flows from UAT to Production?
- No. We do not support this because page layouts can differ between environments.
- The URLs for my Salesforce UAT and Production instances are different. How do we handle this?
- Each Spotlight and Flow URL must be updated to work in your Production environment.
Create a Salesforce integration User
Salesforce User Profile Requirements:
- Modify Metadata Through Metadata API Functions
- API enabled permission
- No IP restrictions
NOTE: If you intend to sync Salesforce users to Spekit and your Salesforce Organization has the "Profile Filtering" option enabled then you must enable the "View All Profiles" option for your integration user to allow proper Salesforce User syncing. Salesforce link for reference: https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=release-notes.rn_forcecom_profiles_perms_profile_filtering.htm&release=228&type=5
- Spekit recommends that you create a dedicated SFDC User (named Spekit Integration) for the integration.
- Add and use a dedicated Chrome profile for the integration User (how to add a Chrome profile).
- When creating the Salesforce integration User, please do not add the User to an SSO IDP until the connection to Spekit has been completed.
- Can the SFDC integration User be changed?
- Yes, please contact Spekit Support (firstname.lastname@example.org). The typical turnaround time is five business days.
- Can I use an existing SFDC User for the integration?
- Yes, you can use any SFDC User that has the proper permissions. Please remember that if the User is disabled, you must contact Spekit Support to change the User.
- Will the integration User have full access to my SFDC instance?
- No, we only require access to read metadata. If you do not see certain objects to import into Spekit or Objects do not import please ensure that your Salesforce integration user has read access to the object(s) you are attempting to import.
Note: If you have the Salesforce System Administrator profile, the permissions are already enabled.
The Modify Metadata Through Metadata API Functions permission must be enabled at the Profile level for the Salesforce integration User.
To check for the Modify Metadata permission, follow these steps in your Salesforce org:
1.) Click the gear icon (upper right corner).
2.) From the drop-down, click Setup.
3.) Under the Administration header (on the left navigation), click the > to expand the Users section.
4.) Click Users.
5.) Locate and click on the profile associated with the Salesforce integration User.
6.) If you already know the Salesforce integration User's profile, click on Profiles.
7.) From the Profile view, click System Permissions.
8.) From System Permissions, click Edit.
9.) Scroll down to the Modify Metadata Through Metadata API Functions.
10.) Add a check to the empty checkbox ☑.
11.) Click Save.
When the time comes on a call with the CSM and Support Engineer, the point person in the company for Salesforce will need to be able to log in as the Salesforce Integration User they've created to connect as the Integration User to Spekit.
The Spekit signup also needs to be done as the Integration User.
We require a light lift from your IT Team to deploy Spekit in your organization. These are the technical requirements that should be completed before your go-live date.
Network / Security Requirements:
- Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browsers are required
- Allow workstations to install the Spekit Chrome Extension (if not mass deploying the extension).
- Allow 3rd party cookies.
- Please refer to the Prerequisite: Create a Salesforce integration User article.
- Monitor your SSO load
- When rolling out to a large number of Users simultaneously, monitoring the load on your SSO tool is recommended to avoid service disruptions.