SKIP AHEAD TO:
Learn how to create content in Salesforce and all the features available. Ensure you have the Chrome Extension installed and you are logging in. You must have Account Admin, Team Admin, or Expert-level access to create content in Salesforce.
Salesforce Sync Help Text
When the initial Salesforce connection is established, the sync process gathers objects and fields in Salesforce to be available in Spekit.
The sync imports help text from Salesforce fields as read-only metadata.
The Spekit Account Admin can easily copy the Help Text to define the field Spek with so it's visible on a field Speks associated with Salesforce objects imported from Manage Objects.
How to import Salesforce objects into Spekit
Importing Standard, Custom, Installed Package, and Salesforce system Objects into Spekit.
Note: You can only do this from the Webapp and not the Chrome Extension.
Importing objects will pull in all the fields into Spekit allowing you to document them for your team. Spekit will create shell Speks for fields which cannot be deleted.
💡 Pro Tip: Hide and fields you do not need to document to make the most of your documentation efforts and avoid crowding your dictionary.
To import Objects:
1.) Click Setting
2.) Click Connect
3.) Click Manage Objects.
💡 Pro Tip:
- We recommend importing one or two of the most critical objects to begin with. You can always import more objects later.
- This will avoid an overcrowded dictionary and make the most of your documentation efforts.
4.) Click on the objects you wish to import (for example Contract, Lead, Opportunity, and Order)
5.) Click the blue Import selected objects button. When the sync process between Spekit and Salesforce starts, please do not navigate the Web App.
Note: It might take a few minutes if you are importing a large number of objects.
6.) When the sync finishes, you will receive a message at the bottom of the screen: Object import complete!
- Once the objects are imported, you’ll be redirected to the Dictionary page in View All.
7.) Click Objects to view all your imported objects.
8.) Click into an Object name or Fields (##) to the right to see the Related Content.
How to import Picklist Values in Spekit
When importing objects from Salesforce, Spekit does not automatically import the field-level picklist values with an object. You can choose which picklist values and when you want to import those values to the document dynamically.
To Import Picklist Values into Spekit:
1.) Click Wiki.
2.) Click Speks.
3.) Click Dictionary.
4.) Click Fields.
Select a Field whose Picklist Values you want to import. For example, the Type field.
4.) A new screen will pop up. Click Import Picklist Values or Click to Import.
5.) A new screen will pop up, here, you can define each individual Picklist Value and add a business process as shown below.
- You can choose to define the picklist values all at once after importing.
- You can choose to define each picklist value once imported.
- You can do this directly from Salesforce. Simply highlight the term in Salesforce + type "S" on your keyboard.
6.) Click Import to Wiki.
You can now view the Picklist Values in your Dictionary as shown below, along with their corresponding Parent Field.
How to easily define Field Speks
- You will need to connect your Spekit instance to Salesforce and have imported the desired Salesforce objects to define fields.
- The Salesforce object sync import process creates shell field Speks that can be defined for each field for the imported parent object.
When to use a Field Spek vs. a Custom Spek
You'll want to use Field Speks when they are available to be defined because they are directly connected to the parent object in Salesforce and do not need to be placed in a Topic.
If you need to add a Spek to text that is not a field in Salesforce, such as the header of a Related List, you will need to do the following:
- Create a new Topic and assign the Teams that can view it.
- Create a new Custom Spek that text matches the Related List name and relates it to the Salesforce object for a Spekit icon to appear on the record.
Open a record page in Salesforce. You can see more Spekit icons on the page because I had already defined those field Speks.
Opportunity record has been used in this example and the Stage field label is highlighted.
1.) Using your mouse pointer, hover on the text for a field label, highlight it, and press the S key on your keyboard. The Spekit Chrome Extension will open, and you will see the name of the field you highlighted in the side panel.
2.) Click the name of the field Spek that matches what you highlighted on the page
In my example below, I highlighted the Stage field.
3.) Click Add definition. A box will open in the center of the page.
4) Define the field Spek you clicked on.
5.) After you've added the definition, click Save.
After you click to save, refresh the Google Chrome browser to see the Spekit icon appear next to the name of the field you highlighted.
To see these steps in action, please see the gif below: