SKIP AHEAD TO:
About the Salesforce Integration
Spekit's integration with Salesforce is very straightforward. It is a one-way, read-only pull that leverages Salesforce APIs to read the metadata of the Objects and Fields in your SFDC organization.
- The user's profile permissions requirements can be found in this article.
- For information on what metadata we import, please read this section.
Does Spekit work in Salesforce Lightning and Classic?
Yes, the Spekit Chrome Extension works in Lightning and Classic versions of Salesforce.
Spekit comes pre-loaded with Salesforce Lightning 101 Knowledge Cards that help you transition from Classic to Lightning.
What metadata does Spekit read?
Spekit will never write or make edits in Salesforce. Spekit imports the following information about Salesforce's objects, fields, and picklist values.
- Internal description (populates Definition field in Spekit and managed in Spekit after the first sync)
- Fields located on the object
- Record count for the object
- Type (Custom or standard)
- SFDC API Name
- SFDC setup link (to that object in Salesforce)
- Help text (populates Definition in Spekit and managed in Spekit after sync)
- Field Type
- Calculated Formula (for type = Formula)
- Related Picklist Values (for type = Picklist)
- Required (Y/N)
- Default value
- SFDC API Name
- SFDC setup link (to all fields view for that object)
For Picklist values:
Spekit does not automatically import picklist values
- Parent Field
What types of Objects can I import in Spekit?
In the Manage Objects import screen, you have the option to import:
- Standard Objects (visible by default).
- Custom Objects (visible by default).
- Installed Package Objects (manually sync to view options).
- Salesforce System Objects (manually sync to view options).
How do I transfer content from Salesforce Knowledge Articles to Spekit?
You can easily transfer any existing documentation that lies in Salesforce Knowledge Articles to Spekit.
To import Salesforce knowledge articles into Spekit, you'll need to do the following:
- A Salesforce Admin will give you an export of the knowledge articles (see below).
- You'll share the export file with the Spekit support team (email@example.com).
- We will upload it to your Spekit and ensure that the rich text is uploaded correctly.
Will rich text and multimedia be supported?
- Yes. Any rich text supported in Spekit (bold, underlines, headlines, bullets) will be translated for you when we export.
- Images and files hosted on Salesforce will only be embeddable in Spekit if publicly accessible. Images and files hosted elsewhere will be embeddable.
How do I get the knowledge article export file?
If you don't already have the knowledge article export file, follow the steps below to get it:
1.) Go to Salesforce Setup
2.) Click Data and then Data Export.
3.) Click Schedule Data Export.
4.) At the top of the panel, check the boxes for Include images, documents, and attachments and Include Salesforce Files and Salesforce CRM Content document versions.
5.) Next, in the Exported Data section, select the Knowledge__kav box, not to be confused with the Knowledge__ka box.
6.) Lastly, click Save.
7.) After a while, you will receive an export file containing the knowledge article content.
Share this file with firstname.lastname@example.org along with any accompanying information for Speks to be created.